Shaqiri: Bayern Munich blocked summer move

Shaqiri: Bayern Munich blocked summer move
The Switzerland international, who has been chased by Liverpool, is unhappy with his lack of game time at the Allianz Arena and will revisit the issue in January

Xherdan Shaqiri has revealed that he wanted to leave Bayern Munich during the summer but that the Bavarians vetoed a transfer.

The Switzerland international, who starred for his country at Brazil 2014, has been struggling to secure regular first-team football since joining from Basel in the summer of 2012 and was eager to leave ahead of the 2014-15 campaign in order to relaunch his career elsewhere.

As revealed by GoalLiverpool were among the clubs to register interest before the German champions shut them down, with Shaqiri determined to revisit the situation in January.

"I wanted to leave Bayern in the summer but the club made the decision not to sell me," he told Blick.

"I had the feeling that it was better for me to try my luck elsewhere after the World Cup. I was thinking about a summer move but then Bayern decided different.

"I have to get on with it. We will meet again in the winter and discuss my situation."

Shaqiri, who has a contract with Bayern until the summer of 2016, has made eight Bundesliga appearances so far this term, scoring once in the process

No comments