Max Verstappen: Formula 1 drive for 16-year-old 'a risk' say drivers


The Dutchman will be 17 when he makes his debut - the youngest F1 driver in history by about a year-and-a-half.
Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button said they were not ready for F1 at 17, which Felipe Massa said was "a little young".
Many said they were pleased Verstappen had been promoted on the basis of talent rather than financial backing.
But Sauber's Adrian Sutil said the move was a "risk" for Verstappen's career.

Who is Max Verstappen?

He is the son of Jos Verstappen, a Dutch racing driver who competed in over 100 Formula 1 races
This year is his first in Formula 3 and he has won eight out of 27 races
Last year he won the World KZ championship - the highest karting category
Verstappen joined the Red Bull junior team earlier this month
Sutil said: "It's quite a risky move and a surprise for everyone to be announced as F1 driver after only half a season in F3.
"But there are drivers who can manage that, for example Kimi Raikkonen, who did only one season of Formula Renault and performed extremely well.
"But I think you still need a little bit of driving, a couple of years, before you do F1.
Play media
"I think 17 is very young but it just shows everything is possible. The downside is if he doesn't perform his career might be ending very quickly."
Button said: "When I was 20, I wasn't ready. I was probably ready at 23, but people are ready at different times.
"Also, if someone comes along and says 'do you want a drive in F1?' you're not going to say no, are you? Because there might not be another opportunity.
"That's what happened to me. Frank [Williams] said to me when I was in the pub with my mates drinking beer and eating sausages and bacon: 'Are you ready for F1?' And I said, 'no'.
"My dad said, 'I can't believe you've just said that. Phone him back and lie to him basically and tell him you are ready.' And then I got the test drive and the race drive. You have to take the opportunity, you have to say you're ready and I hope he is."

No comments